Double click here to edit Header component
Signpost is empty.Double click here to edit it in Header component
Parsys 1
Parsys 2

For over 300 years the Barclays head office, originally known as a ‘shop’, was situated in Lombard Street in the City of London, which had been associated with the world of finance for several centuries.

 

Barclays head office in London

Barclays head office in London

John Freame, from whom Barclays foundation is traced, traded as a goldsmith in Lombard Street from 1690 with his partner Thomas Gould. The business moved to the sign of the Black Spread Eagle in 1728. Most of the ‘shops’ had a trading sign by which they were identified at a time when few people could read. Buildings changed hands and usage, but the signs remained. Later, when properties were numbered, the Barclays address was identified as 54 Lombard Street.

The bank expanded considerably over the course of the next 200 years and by 1920, the Barclays head office site covered numbers 42-58 Lombard Street. The head office building underwent a variety of facelifts and renovations, including more extensive projects such as a grand Italianate design in 1864, a partial re-build in 1916 and a major rebuild and modernisation between 1959 and 1971.

On each occasion the design sought to demonstrate the growing strength and confidence of the company. These designs also sought to complement the increasingly complex work undertaken by the bank and included internal renovations which allowed for the increased use of mechanical and technological office equipment.

Technical and organisational changes in banking, coupled with the low office density meant that the 1960s Lombard Street building, though liked by staff, became unsuitable as a head office after only twenty years’ use and it was therefore decided to rebuild once again. Demolition began in 1990. During the re-building process, head office departments were relocated to temporary offices in other bank premises. They began to return to the new Lombard Street building in 1994. However in 2001, Barclays announced that head office would move to new premises in Canary Wharf in 2005.

In January 2005, the first departments from a number of sites across London began to move into 1 Churchill Place at Canary Wharf. In the process Barclays either sold or reduced its holdings on pre-existing sites in the city and central London.

A total of 14 London buildings were closed and 5,000 Barclays staff moved during this time to a grand, purpose-built building comprising 32 floors and 1 million square feet, all of which was built in 30 months. By the end of the year a wide variety of services such as Corporate Secretariat, Legal, Risk, Information and Technology, Corporate and Public Affairs, Treasury, the London-based arm of Barclaycard and Large and Medium Business Banking had completed the transfer and were operating from Churchill Place.

Along with the nearby North Colonnade site, headquarters of Barclays Capital, the bank’s investment arm, Barclays created a head office in keeping with its modern and corporate image.

Architects Larry Malcic, with the external brief, and Jack Pringle who was tasked with the interior floor-space, opted for a steel framed design which created large, open spaces intended to encourage communication between staff. The building also incorporated smaller, more private spaces which served as state-of-the-art meeting or training suites and break-out spaces where small groups could gather.

The open floor plan and space management incorporated both business and environmental sustainability by reducing energy consumption and managing noise, allowing a more physically comfortable working environment for staff. The glass panelled design considerably increased natural sunlight throughout the building and afforded impressive views of the London skyline.

The building also included many staff amenities such as easy access to public transport links, extensive restaurant facilities, a gymnasium and a private, multi-faith prayer room. Also included in the design is a roof garden, a sustainable environmental habitat.

The new head office consolidated all aspects of the bank in one place allowing for greater cooperation and coordination so essential to modern success. Just as Barclays had done at the beginning of the 20th century, the new head office building reflected the increasing confidence felt in the business at the beginning of the 21st century at a time of record profits. By May 2005, all departments had relocated and Barclays’ Registered Office address formally changed from 54 Lombard Street to 1 Churchill Place on 31 May 2005.

Outside London

However, not all head office functions are based in London. During the second half of the 20th century, increasing London costs, staff shortages within the city, and the need for more office accommodation forced Barclays to expand head office functions into facilities based outside the city.

One of the earliest examples of this was the opening of a new Branch Clearing department at King’s Heath, Northampton, a move completed in 1960. The site was opened by Thomas Bland, Barclays Deputy Chairman and Dame Evelyn Sharp, Permanent Secretary to The Ministry of Housing and Local Government. The building was designed with open spaces, more natural daylight and staff comfort and increased car parking in mind.

Barclays presence in Northampton increased when Barclaycard, Britain’s first credit card, set up operations in an abandoned shoe factory in the town. By the early 1970s Barclaycard House, the purpose-built headquarters for the Barclaycard business was up and running. Barclaycard House served as the head office for a largely independent, specialist business which was owned and marketed by Barclays but possessed an ethos and approach largely of its own.

Barclaycard House was subsequently closed, and was completely re-built on another site in 1997. It remains to this day the heart of one of the world’s largest credit card businesses. 

Find out more about the history of Barclays’ head offices History of Barclays’ head offices (new window) Celebrating 10 years in Canary WharfCelebrating 10 years in Canary Wharf (new window) Behind the scenes of our global head officeBehind the scenes of our global head office
Parsys 4
Parsys 5
Parsys 6
Parsys 7
Parsys 8
Parsys 9
Parsys 10
Parsys 11
Parsys 12
Parsys 13
Parsys 14
Parsys 15
Parsys 16
Parsys 17
Parsys 18
Parsys 19
Parsys 20