In the UK, the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) requires financial services firms to report on the number of UK FCA reportable customer complaints they receive on a half yearly basis. We aim to resolve all complaints within eight weeks and if complaints remain unresolved after eight weeks or if a customer is dissatisfied with our final response, they have the option to refer their complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS). The FOS also publishes a half yearly report on financial services complaints they receive.
This site provides an overview of Barclays FCA reportable complaints data since 2010 and highlights how we are driving down complaints by improving the overall customer experience. We are committed to delivering a sustained reduction in complaints and while we are heading in the right direction, we recognise we still have a way to go.
Our complaints data is published individually for each UK legal entity and in a Barclays Group summary, with segmentation across the six FCA product categories. Barclays Bank PLC accounts for the majority of all Barclays UK FCA reportable complaints (98%). Barclays complaints should be viewed within the context that we undertook on average over 9.4 million transactions per day during H1 2016, one of the highest volumes of transactions in the UK banking industry.
For the First Half of 2016 (H1)
The new figures give the following picture for the first half of 2016:
- Banking complaints have significantly reduced by 11 per cent compared to the first half of 2015 (H1 2016: 127,050, H1 2015:142,115).
- Complaints excluding Payment Protection Insurance (PPI) are down 10%
- PPI* (General Insurance complaints) have increased by 20,330. That’s a 15 per cent increase compared to the first half of 2015 (H1 2016: 154,924, H1 2015: 134,594).
- There has been an increase in the total number of complaints, with volumes increasing by 4,787 in the first half of 2016 compared to the first half of 2015 (H1 2016: 293,458, H1 2015: 288,671). The total complaint increase is equal to 2% Year over Year (YoY). This was mainly driven by a moderate increase in PPI complaints received in H1 2016.
* The General Insurance and Pure Protection category, of which the overwhelming majority are PPI complaints.
Detailed below is Barclays FCA reportable complaints data:
Barclays Group summary
Period covered in this report: 1 January - 30 June 2016
Legal Entities covered: Barclays Bank Plc, Clydesdale Financial Services Limited, Firstplus Financial Group PLC and Woolwich Plan Managers Limited.