In the UK, the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) requires financial services firms to report on the number of UK FCA reportable customer complaints they receive on a half yearly basis. Barclays is the only bank to currently publish its results quarterly, twice as often as required. We also provide context and analysis on the figures, sharing the key causes of complaints along with an action plan for addressing them.
Our complaints data is published individually for each UK legal entity and in a Barclays Group summary, with segmentation across the five FCA product categories. Barclays Bank PLC accounts for the majority of all Barclays UK FCA reportable complaints (98%). Barclays complaints should be viewed within the context that we undertake over 7.5 million transactions per day, one of the highest volumes of transactions in the UK banking industry.
For the first quarter of 2014 (Q1):
- Total year on year complaints for the quarter are down 31 per cent (Q1 2014 145,549, Q1 2013 209,846)
- Total year on year complaints for the quarter excluding PPI* are up 10 per cent (Q1 2014 50,681, Q1 2013 46,144), this increase can be attributed to the following areas:
- 43 per cent rise in mortgage complaints (Q1 2014 2,949, Q1 2013 2,062), this is as a consequence of growth in market share and updates to our systems and operations.
- 10 per cent rise in banking complaints (Q1 2014 45,246, Q1 2013 41,152), driven largely by Claims Management Companies (CMC) legacy claims, not the day to day experience of customers.
* The General insurance and Pure Protection category, of which the overwhelming majority are PPI complaints.
Detailed below is Barclays’ FCA reportable complaints data:
Barclays Group summary
Barclays Bank Plc
Barclays Stockbrokers Limited
Clydesdale Financial Services Limited
Firstplus Financial Group Plc
Woolwich Plan Managers Limited
Barclays Group summary
Period covered in this report: 1 January - 31 March 2014
Brands/trading names covered: Barclays Bank Plc, Barclays Sharedealing, Barclays Stockbrokers Limited, Clydesdale Financial Services Limited, Firstplus Financial Group PLC, Woolwich Plan Managers Limited, Standard Life Cash Savings & Mortgages, Standard Life Cash Savings, Standard Life Mortgages.