In the UK, the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) requires financial services firms to report on the number of UK FCA reportable customer complaints they receive on a half yearly basis. Barclays is the only bank to currently publish its results quarterly, twice as often as required. We also provide context and analysis on the figures, sharing the key causes of complaints along with an action plan for addressing them.
Our complaints data is published individually for each UK legal entity and in a Barclays Group summary, with segmentation across the five FCA product categories. Barclays Bank PLC accounts for the majority of all Barclays UK FCA reportable complaints (98%). Barclays complaints should be viewed within the context that we undertook on average over 8 million transactions per day during Q3 2014, one of the highest volumes of transactions in the UK banking industry.
For the third quarter of 2014 (Q3):
- Total year on year complaints including PPI are down by 11,407 (Q3 2014: 150,953, Q3 2013: 162,360); within this:
- PPI (General Insurance complaints) are down 23,596 (Q3 2014 91,302, Q3 2013 114,898)
- Mortgage complaints are up 421 (Q3 2014 2,721, Q3 2013 2,300), due to growth in the number of applications Barclays’ handles each day;
- Banking complaints up 12,339 (Q3 2014 54,813 Q3 2013 42,474), driven largely by Claims Management Companies (CMCs) claims, not the day to day experience of customers;
* The General insurance and Pure Protection category, of which the overwhelming majority are PPI complaints.
Detailed below is Barclays’ FCA reportable complaints data:
Barclays Group summary
Period covered in this report: 1 July - 30 September 2014
Brands/trading names covered: Barclays Bank Plc, Barclays Sharedealing, Barclays Stockbrokers Limited, Clydesdale Financial Services Limited, Firstplus Financial Group PLC, Woolwich Plan Managers Limited, Standard Life Cash Savings & Mortgages, Standard Life Cash Savings, Standard Life Mortgages, Barclays Direct (formally ING Direct UK).