Barclays celebrates 60 years of doing business in Botswana.
A dinner commemorating the event was attended by guests such as Linah Mohohlo, Governor of the Bank of Botswana; Jennifer Anderson, British High Commissioner to Botswana; Thebeyame Tsimako, Botswana Police Commissioner; Barclays Botswana customers; and members of the media.
Barclays Botswana is today the leading bank in the country, operating a network of 52 branches and 101 cash machines.
Wilfred Mpai, Acting Managing Director, Barclays Botswana, said: "The celebration of a sixtieth anniversary is a significant milestone for Barclays Bank of Botswana.
"We are proud to be a member of and serve the community, grow with the community and make lives much easier.
"We appreciate that Botswana has a choice of banks and that they have chosen to partner with us for more than a half century."
Some of Barclays Botswana's milestones include:
- 1950: First Barclays agency opens in Lobatse
- 1953: Establishment of sub-branch in Francistown
- 1966: Four full branches open
- 1975: Barclays is incorporated locally, operating as an autonomous, wholly-owned subsidiary of Barclays Bank PLC, with a head office in the capital Gaborone
- 1986: Ordinary shares in Barclays Botswana are issued to colleagues, Botswana citizens and locally incorporated corporate bodies
- 1990: First in the country to offer ATM services
- 2000: Duncan Mlazi becomes first Botswana Managing Director in Commercial Banking
- 2009: Wins Best Bank in Africa and Best Bank in Botswana accolades from Euromoney magazine
- 2010: Wins Best Bank in Botswana accolade from emeafinance and The Banker magazines.