The Citizenship Report also sets out the new commitments in which we aim to deliver by the end of 2015, in addition to the progress we’ve made, in three areas: the way we do business; contributing to growth, and supporting our communities.
Performance highlights, in 2012, include:
- Raising £830bn in financing for businesses and governments globally
- Helping 18,000 first-time buyers in the UK to take their first step on the property ladder
- Reducing our carbon emissions by 12% (compared to 2010 levels)
- Helping 1.2 million young people to improve their enterprise, employability and financial skills through our community investment programmes
- Supporting over 68,000 employees - nearly half of our workforce – in volunteering, fundraising or giving initiatives.
The Report, the 13th produced by Barclays, is independently assured and aligns with leading standards for non-financial disclosure. It outlines the challenges we faced in the last 12 months – such as LIBOR and remuneration – and what we are doing to address these issues.
Our Citizenship Plan is an evolving set of commitments which we aim to deliver by the end of 2015. In the first part of 2013, we consulted our stakeholders extensively. We have updated our Plan for 2013 in response to their feedback and to align with our new Goal, Purpose and Values. We streamlined our existing commitments and made three new commitments: to implement a global Code of Conduct; to ensure our decisions take account of stakeholder considerations; and to improve youth employability.
Our Plan also includes a commitment to be as open as possible about how we do business. As such, we’ve made our latest Citizenship Report more transparent in a number of areas, for example, on customer complaints and satisfaction.